So often we think we know what’s best for our kids. When they are young we make a lot of decisions for them, but as they grow older it can be tricky to let go and allow them to make choices for themselves. On this episode of the podcast, Heather and Tiffany talk about the importance of letting your young adult children make their own decisions, how that is good for them, why it’s necessary for their development and growth, and how it can actually strengthen the relationship you have with them.
- There is a lot of pressure put on young adults these days from parents and society about what they should be doing with their lives that it can be difficult for them to find a space to know what they really want and who they want to become.
- As parents we can try and shield our children from disappointment and heartache but feeling all of those things is really just how life works and necessary for their growth.
- We often want our adult children to do and be certain things so that we can feel better as their parents.
- We have to let our young adult children write their own recipe for success.
- As parents of our children we are to teach them correct principles, but eventually they will have to leave us so they can make mistakes, and do things on their own.
- Letting go of our young adult children really comes down to having faith in God and faith in ourselves to learn and grow as their parents. Then ultimately we can have faith in our children.
Do you feel like you parent from a place of fear or love? If fear, what are you afraid will happen if you let your children make their own decisions?
How can you look to Heavenly Father and follow some of the things He does as a parent by applying those principles to your own parenting?
If you knew that your children were going to make the best choices for them, how would that change your parenting and relationship with them?
More from Tiffany:
Social Media: Instagram @tiffany_rhoton
Tiffany’s Podcast: Happy Young Adults