President David O. McKay said, “The nobelist calling in the world is motherhood.” As women in the church we are taught this truth from day one. All of our life plans and focus are on this calling, and for a good reason. Having and raising children truly is a noble calling. But what does it mean when we finally find ourselves in that role and we are extremely unhappy? Have we done something wrong? Are we broken? Will we ever truly find that happiness we were told we would receive once we became a mother?
Come listen to the podcast today as coach Jessica Wiest talks about her own crisis of motherhood when she realized her children were not bringing her the happiness she thought they would. Hear her take on how you can know if you are in a motherhood crisis as well as five great takeaways on how to enjoy your kids more.
- We are fed a story in the Church and in society that once we have the husband and the kids, then we will have our “happily ever after.” For many that just isn’t’ the cast.
- Motherhood is laden with guilt. We can often divide ourselves into two people. The one who has hopes and desires outside of motherhood and the one who feels like motherhood should provide us with all the happiness we would ever need.
- The stages of a crisis in motherhood:
- Realization that motherhood doesn’t bring you the happiness you thought it would.
- Guilt for not being grateful for what you have.
- Desperation to find the deficiency within you that must exist since motherhood isn’t making you as happy as you were told it would.
- Five ways to enjoy your kids more:
- The quicker you give up on the idea that you are forming your kids’ personalities, the more fun you will have.
- See your children. Don’t try and mold them but just see them as they are.
- Don’t hurry your kids past their negative emotions.
- Decide who’s team you’re on.
- Don’t allow the story you have written for your kid’s lives to become your idol.
Are you in a motherhood crisis? Here are some questions to ask yourself in order to find out:
- Are you feeling totally anxious about your role as a mother and constantly worried about the safety or well being or success of your kids?
- Are you feeling overwhelmed? So overwhelmed that the daily grind feels like a mountain?
- Are you having a hard time finding joy and then guilt for even feeling that way because here you are living the life you had always wanted?
- Are you overextending yourself and saying yes to everyone and trying so hard to do all the things?
- Are you going crazy over extended family or in-law relationships?
- Are you indulging in toxic perfectionism…to reflect a version of you that is living your best life but underneath it all feeling rather isolated and disconnected?
Click HERE to join us Thursday, August 5th at 2pm CDT on the Clubhouse app. This gives you the opportunity to learn more on this topic and to speak directly with Jessica and ask her questions on this topic.